where's my database file?

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

toastmee

where's my database file?

Postby toastmee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:26 am

I've loaded gn onto a new laptop & transferred my db file & have been using there exclusively.

Recently, i wanted to tranfer the most recent db file from the laptop to use on another computer. When i copied the newsfeed.db file from the greatnews folder..i was surprised to find that the db file transferred was an old file..i checked the date & it's a month & half old.

Thinking that i overwrited my db file, i reopened gn on the laptop..but it seems everything is as current as ever. So where is gn saving my db file now? it's very strange..the newfeed.db file in 'greatnews' folder is 1.5 months old.

Running vista home premium on laptop. Initially transferred from win xp desktop. Want to transfer back to a win xp desktop.

thanks!

MysteryFCM

Re: where's my database file?

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Check the Application Data folder;

%userprofile%\Application Data\Great News\

I don't have Vista unfortunately, so can't confirm this.
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

toastmee

Postby toastmee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:57 pm

there isn't greatnews or curio under application data. I've transferred my db file before a few times & it was never a problem. Strangely tough, i can't figure out where my current greatnews is storing its data if the db file in the greatnews folder is 1 month old...

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:41 pm

The data are stored in newsfeed.db file. You can search hard driver to see if you have more than one copy of this file...

toastmee

Postby toastmee » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:29 am

My data is definitely being stored elsewhere from the newsfeed.db file or at least there is another newsfeed.db file stored NOT in the curio/greatnews folder.

As strange as that seems.

Thinking it was related to my installation, i uninstalled the program & DELETED the curio folder (all files including the .db file). When I reinstalled greatnews, the first run..i saw the typical generic feeds GN comes with. The 2nd time I opened GN, all my previous feeds were there- & this is before i imported any .db file.

So clearly, GN is getting this info from somewhere. I think it's related to vista (never had problems on xp). I'm getting to know vista, & somehow i can't get the search to find any newsfeed.db file (including the default one in the GN folder). I think it has something to do with indexing that i haven't resolved..but the search is useless.

Anyone have any ideas where GN is storing/finding the data? any ideas on how to resolve my indexing/search so i can find it?

Strangely, my account is 'administrator'..but if i activate the 'hidden' or 'true' vista administrator account..i don't seem to have the same problem- it will save the data to default newsfeed.db file.

However, i'd rather not use the 'true' administrator account for day to day use..as it apparently is a greater risk in security..plus i have all my settings i like in my current account. hope this gives some hints.

thanks!

MysteryFCM

Postby MysteryFCM » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:00 am

Based on those symptoms, be sure to check the "All Users" application data folder ;)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:07 am

You don't need to have an admin account to run GreatNews. Just unzip GreatNews into a folder, and run from there.

toastmee

Postby toastmee » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 am

MysteryFCM wrote:Based on those symptoms, be sure to check the "All Users" application data folder ;)

It does seem like somehow it is saving in one of the application data folders (strangely)..however, i don't have an 'all users' folder as you suggested. perhaps it's a vista thing, but i have 'administrator', 'XX' (which is the user i created), 'Default', & 'public'. The only ones that have have an 'app data' folder is 'XX' & 'Default'. None of them appear to have anything related to curio/greatnews/newfeed.db.

Again, my vista is not finding files or folders that i search for. Seems related to its indexing feature which i haven't solved.

Still trying to figure this one out. I still don't see where greatnews is saving my data.

toastmee

Postby toastmee » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:11 am

Jack wrote:You don't need to have an admin account to run GreatNews. Just unzip GreatNews into a folder, and run from there.

I think you've missed what i'm trying to say & resolve.

I'm not having issues running Greatnews. Ever since i migrated to Vista, the default user account is not saving the GN data in the normal newsfeed.db file. After a month's use, when i copy the .db file to another computer, the data is 1 month old. When i uninstalled GN & deleted the nwesfeed.db file..then reinstalled, GN magically re-loaded all my feeds before i even imported my data (obviously loading the data from somewhere). The newsfeed.db file it created on install..is completely different than what i see when i open GN.

I only mention the administrator aspect because it seems to give some clues as to what's going on. In vista, there is a default administrator account (which really isn't an administrator account)..and there is a 'hidden' or 'true' administrator account that you activate from running a cmd prompt command..which gives full 'true' administrative rights. When i log on using this 'true' administrator account..GN functions properly- it loads the data that's stored on the newsfeed.db file & any changes made in GN are stored in that file. When i log off & use my normal account or 'non-true' administrator, account..the symptoms listed above return. It is loading data that's not stored in the newsfeed.db file & changes made in GN- while it does save; is not reflected in the newsfeed.db file in the GN folder. it's saving it somewhere..i just don't know where.

Please help!

toastmee

Postby toastmee » Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Ok, I found it. I guess i'm the only one on here running vista?

it's a vista thing. After installing a program, as a security measure, vista prevents programs from writing to files in the program files folder. So it creates a folder under 'User>Appdata>Local>Virtual Store> Program files> Greatnews' where it stores the db file.

It is possible to overide this so that the db file is continually updated & stored in the program files folder..but i'm not sure if there's any reason to do that..now that i know where the db is stored.

Phew, it took me a while to get vista search to work properly to find this .db file...had to do with vista's indexing. Anyway, now i know where it is.

MysteryFCM

Postby MysteryFCM » Sat May 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Cheers for letting us know :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Return to “General”