Linux and Wine

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

solonbro

Linux and Wine

Postby solonbro » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:30 pm

Annoyed with some of Microsoft's policies regarding their users, and disgusted with the looks and ridiculous size of Windows Vista, I've been slowly working on the switch from MS' operating system to Linux (Ubuntu 6.06, to be more precise).

So far, the experience has been great but there is one application that keeps me going back to Windows, and it is not Adobe Photoshop. It turns out that not only there is no RSS reader even remotely alike GreatNews on the penguin, there doesn't seem to be any decent reader at all. I've been trying to make do with RSS Owl, but that 3-pane e-mail client GUI just won't do, and the fact that it doesn't archive posts is absolutely exasperating.

My first impulse, of course, would be to suggest a Linux version of GreatNews. But I don't think that's a reasonable idea, at least in the near future. So, the next best thing I can do is try to run it with something like <a href="http://www.winehq.com/">Wine</a>.

The thing is I'm a complete dummy when it comes to Wine and, so far, haven't been able to make it run GreatNews properly. From the sheer amount of "fixme" errors, I'd say it's having DLL issues, but I just don't know. So, I was wondering wheteher there might be a good samaritan with some Wine knowledge in this forum somewhere who could give me a hand, or if someone has any other suggestion on running GreatNews on Linux.

any help would be appreciated.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:41 pm

GreatNews needs windows2000 level API support. I guess WINE only provides win98 level functionality? GreatNews's core is platform independent, but the UI is very specific to Windows.

KeinEngel

Postby KeinEngel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 pm

Well, I believe you can simulate win2000 APIs with wine. Google is your friend :)

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:23 pm

Any linux expert out there wants to give GreatNews a try on WINE? :wink: Greatly appreciated!

KeinEngel

Postby KeinEngel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:17 pm

I'll give it a try tonight.

Later edit: Boy, I feel stupid... GreatNews needs Internet Explorer installed to run. So the best way to go would probably be a modified version of ies4linux. I'll be back with details :)

KeinEngel

Postby KeinEngel » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:35 pm

A list of GreatNews' dependencies would be helpful...

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:44 pm

Thanks KeinEngel. GreatNews itself only depends on IE. But IE in turn depends on a lot of other things. Please see the GreatNews dependency list.

http://www.curiostudio.com/misc/GreatNews.txt

KeinEngel

Postby KeinEngel » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:02 am

Well, I've managed to get IE 6 sp2 installed and running under wine, but trying to run GreatNews just gets me into wine's debug mode... Will keep trying!

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:05 am

KeinEngel wrote:Well, I've managed to get IE 6 sp2 installed and running under wine, but trying to run GreatNews just gets me into wine's debug mode... Will keep trying!

Thanks for the update. What did the debug message say?

anjo

Postby anjo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:35 pm

I have GreatNews running under Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 and WINE, but it's not stable.

Basic setup
Installed WINE via Synatpic. Didn't install IE etc.
Extracted GreatNews.zip to c:\program files\Great News
Ran GreatNewsUpdater.exe, d/l installer version and let it update, run setup and start GreatNews
Installed mozilla-win32-1.7.13-installer.exe - fixes html rendering not working in the GreatNews panes.
Remove annoying proxy error - set Tools > Options > Connection > Proxy - URL is blank, port = 80
Added a section to greatnews.ini to try to get browsing externally working but it doesn't seem to help.
[Advanced]
ExternalBrowser=c:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe

What doesn't work?
Importing or exporting
Trying to launch any link in any browser - probably just a path error

Other notes
Cookie based and authenticated RSS feeds work - needed to disable "Block pops up" for username & password authenticated logins to work in GreatNews.
"Email this" works and launches my mail client (Sylpheed Claws GTK2) with URL in the message body.
Minimise to tray etc works.
Sliding alerts (notification of feed updates) from system tray work as expected.
I didn't check other features or try to fix errors.
Clicking different feeds quickly in the top pane will crash GreatNews
Here's a URL with GreatNews dependancies. I haven't even checked what dll's I have or don't have. http://www.curiostudio.com/misc/GreatNews.txt

anjo

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 am

anjo, thanks for the update. I believe You haven gone further than anybody else on running GreatNews on WINE!

I was very surprised GreatNews can be run w/o IE installed first? There's a undocumented feature running GreatNews using MozillaEngine, but I don't know you have that MozillaEngine ActiveX on the WINE installation or not.

anjo

Postby anjo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:36 am

just another update.
I deleted my WINE installation.
Downloaded and unzipped GreatNews.
Ran the GreatNewsUpdater.exe and installed GreatNews.
I did not install Mozilla or IE.
I started GreatNews and WINE prompted and began d/l and installing the Gecko engine.
After installation of the Gecko engine complete, GreatNews started and rendered pages correctly.
Same issues as I reported above still exist. Mouse clicking seems to be more stable and sometimes middle mouse click either crashes GreatNews or does nothing.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Thanks for the update. The middle-click is always a problem with Mozilla activex control, as it doesn't implement the function to find html control from mouse point.

chipbennett

Postby chipbennett » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:41 am

Good morning, all!

Any recent progress on running GreatNews under Linux?

I, too, am an Ubuntu convert (in process), and thus far the only application preventing me from a nearly flawless conversion is GreatNews.

I am running Ubuntu 7.04 (after upgrading the Edgy I had been using for several weeks), am becoming marginally familiar with Linux, and am completely unfamiliar with Wine. So, I doubt I'd be very good as a tester, nor would I be able to offer much help - but I thought I'd ask if any progress had been made in the past several months?

YmerejO42

Postby YmerejO42 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:21 am

Wondering the same thing here, working on converting to PCLinuxOS, haven't tried running GreatNews yet myself, but was searching to see if it works on Linux... I'll try installing and working with it and WINE later today, just wondering if anyone has any tips I should know. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”